CBIC Hosts its 21st Annual Awards Gala: 2019 Award Recipients Announced
The Paramount Theater, Charlottesville VA
Thursday, May 23rd, 2019
Two Decades of Advocacy, Celebration, and Education
(Charlottesville, VA) – On Thursday night, May 23, 2019, innovators, educators, and entrepreneurs, gathered to celebrate the 21st Annual CBIC Awards Gala at The Paramount Theatre in downtown Charlottesville. In addition to recognizing the community’s leading businesses and educators, CBIC awarded $8,500 in scholarships and grants in support of science and technology education and student entrepreneurship. Executive Director, Tracey Greene, co-chair of the gala, explained the importance of the CBIC Awards to the region:
"This annual gathering seeks to further the creation of a community in which we celebrate accomplishments and recognize individual contributions to our innovation-based ecosystem. The gala encourages attendees to develop relationships that inspire, inform, and further expansion and growth of forward-looking businesses and organizations."
Since 2003, with the mission to further the use of technology in classrooms, CBIC has gifted $42,500 in grants to recipients of the CBIC Educator of the Year award. Chris Bunin, of Albemarle High School, was awarded this year’s 2019 CBIC Educator of the Year award and was the recipient of CBIC’s $2,500 Technology in Education grant.
Below is a full list of the 2019 CBIC Award Recipients.
2019 CBIC Business of the Year
2019 CBIC Entrepreneur of the Year
David Slutzky of Fermata Energy
2019 CBIC Innovator of the Year
2019 CBIC Start-Up of the Year
2019 CBIC Social Good Award
Charlottesville Women in Tech
2019 CBIC Educator of the Year
Chris Bunin of Albemarle High School
2019 CBIC Student Entrepreneur of the Year
Elizabeth Tikoyan of Riley
2019 CBIC Job Creator of the Year
2019 CBIC Volunteer of the Year
CBIC Tech Tour Student Scholarship Recipients
Each year at the CBIC Awards Gala, CBIC presents $2,500 in scholarships to two junior or senior high school students who plan to pursue education beyond high school in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Math) subjects. Since 2003, CBIC has gifted $45,000 to students through the CBIC Tech Tour Scholarship program. This year’s CBIC Tech Tour Scholarships were awarded to:
- Henry Pritchard: Henry Pritchard is a Junior at William Monroe High School. He hopes to study Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at the University of Virginia, The Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Brown University, or Virginia Tech. Upon graduation from college, Henry plans to found a startup technology company.
- Zander Armstrong: Alexandre "Zander" Armstrong is a senior at the Armstrong Home School. He is also dual-enrolled at Blue Ridge Community College. Zander hopes to study Mechanical Engineering at Blue Ridge Community College and Virginia Tech. Following graduation, Zander plans to work with a local company to gain experience in the engineering field while studying for his master’s degree.
To be eligible, students must have attended at least one of CBIC’s Annual Tech Tours. The CBIC Tech Tour is a day-long event that introduces area students to our region’s technology companies, and exposes students to diverse career possibilities offered by our regional technology community.
Each year, the CBIC Tech Tour organizes upward of 400 area middle and high school students, who collectively visit several participating technology-related companies and organizations in a single day. The hands-on visits allow students to meet employees, and to experience the innovative applications of technology in unique and specialized operations.
Save the date for the 2019 Tech Tour: October 8, 2019
ABOUT CBIC: Educate, Advocate, and Celebrate
CBIC promotes entrepreneurship and innovation of technology-focused organizations in the Greater Charlottesville area. Through collaborative partnerships, educational resources, and strategic relationships, CBIC supports technology initiatives to strengthen the economic and social vitality of our area. CBIC provides an opportunity for exploring ongoing development in the technology sector through shared ideas and champions innovation, discovery, and growth in technological organizations.
Complete List of 2019 CBIC Award Finalists
CBIC Entrepreneur of the Year
- Dan Schleifer - ChartIQ - chartiq.com
- William Stilley - Adial Pharmaceuticals - adialpharma.com
- David Slutzky - Fermata Energy - fermataenergy.com
CBIC Business of the Year
CBIC Innovator of the Year
CBIC Startup of the Year
- Mission Secure, Inc. - missionsecure.com
- Agrospheres - agrospheres.com
- Bluestone Analytics - bluestoneanalytics.com
CBIC Job Creator of the Year
- S&P Global - spglobal.com
- HackCville - com
- CoConstruct LLC - co-construct.com
- Solovis, Inc. - solovis.com
CBIC Social Good Award
- Charlottesville Angel Network - net
- Charlottesville Women in Tech - cvillewomen.tech
- HackCville - com
CBIC Educator of the Year
- Anna Green - Western Albemarle High School
- Chris Bunin - Albemarle High School
- Sarah FitzHenry - St. Anne's-Belfield School
CBIC Student Entrepreneur of the Year